The department, with Mathematics as an undergraduate course, was established in 1949. It was upgraded as a Postgraduate department in 1959. The self-financed courses in B.C.A and B.Sc, Information Technology started in 2002 and 2008 respectively. Self financed M,Phil. was first offered in 2010. To its credit, the department has successfully completed three major interdisciplinary projects, funded by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and the University Grants Commission (UGC). The projects are interrelated with the departments of Chemistry, Zoology and Botany. There are five doctorates in the faculty and the department has produced four doctorates under its part-time Ph.D. programme. It also has a club for the students to organise seminars and to develop academic and managerial skills.