The department was established in 1957. It offers B.Sc., M.Sc. and M.Sc. Chemistry (Special) courses. In 2005, it became a Research Centre and started M.Phil. in 2008. Around 30 scholars are working in various areas of Chemistry for their doctoral programmes. The faculty members have received grants from many agencies including the University Grants Commission (UGC), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology (TNSCST). The department has signed a MoU with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai and V-Guard, Cochin. It offers a consultancy service in FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared) Spectrometer , UV and water analysis as well as Molecular Modeling. Dr. A. Thamarichelvan (The Principal) has obtained a Patent for "Novel nutrient coated granular nitrogenous fertilisers" from the Indian Patent Office, Chennai.