||RED RIBBON CLUB
The red ribbon club project was created by the Newyork based visual Aids Artists caucus in 1991 with the motto of demonstrating the comparison for people living with Aids & their caregivers.
The red ribbon is a symbol for both drug abuse and for the fight against Aids. The red ribbon foundation is an organization created in 1993 with the objective of imparting education about prevention of HIV and Aids.
The Red Ribbon Club was established in our College during the year 2005.
- To imbibe a sense of humane in the minds of the students through yoga and meditation.
- To spread awareness about HIV / AIDS among the students.
- To understand the problems of adolescence and the impact on performance.
- AIDS awareness programme was organized on 14th March 2011. Mr. S. Palanichamy, RRC District Manager, Madurai, explained the ways and means through which AIDS can be spread and the impact of technology on the socio-attitude of the students. More than 150 students have participated in this programme.
- Founder's day Blood donation camp was organized on 29th june 2015 in the College Campus , RRC and NSS Volunteers participated in the camp.
Started as Eco-club in 2002, to promote environmental awareness and make the students as environmentally vibrant and to educate students about environmental issues and train them .
Activities Carried in the academic year 2016-17 (Total No. of Students Enrolled : 43)
- Part-V Nature Club Orientation was held on 24/10/2016 at 12.30 pm in MH4. There are totally students in I year Nature Club. The students were taught about importance of Nature Club and groups were divided.
- The list of activities to be completed was discussed with students and tentative schedule was framed on 25.10.2016
- Organised a tree walk along with Madura Green on 18.12.2016 at Thiagarajar College campus. Dr. D. Stephen, Associate Professor, Department of Botany, The American College, Madurai explained about the trees of campus. The nativity, uses of trees, its cultural significance, and purpose of bringing the plant to India was explained by him. General public, Nature club students of Thiagarajar College participated in the event. The programme started by 2.30 pm and came to an end by 6.15 pm. Dr.K.Rajendran, Head, Department of Botany welcomed the gathering, Dr.R.Aruna, Coordinator, Nature Club gave vote of thanks.
- Drug Awareness programme was conducted on 27.12.2016 at Diamond Jubilee Hall at 12.15 pm. Mr. Devaraj - Director, Narcotics Control Bureau, Madurai gave an awareness lecture on drug abuse and trafficking.
- Project work was discussed on 03.01.2017.
- Campus Cleaning was arranged on 07/01/2017 to clean the back yard of quadrangle at 10 am.
- A Tree Walk was conducted on 07.01.2017 at 11 am. Dr. Aruna of Botany Department Thiagarajar College explained the significance of tress through campus tree walk.
- A Special Lecture was arranged on 10.01.2017 at 2.00 pm about "Solid Waste Management Programme". Dr. Kannan, Assistant Professor, Department of Botany, Thiagarajar College, Madurai demonstrated the solid litter waste management and vermicompost preparation.
- Liquid waste recycling of our campus was explained by Dr.D.Kannan, Assistant Professor, Department of Botany, Thiagarajar College on 10.01.2017 at 3.00pm.
- Awareness program on Water Conservation and Management was conducted, Volunteers exhibited charts in College campus on 21.02.2017
- Awareness program on Anti Plastic was conducted, Volunteers exhibited charts in College campus on 28.02.2017
- Awareness program on Pollution and its effects was conducted, Volunteers exhibited charts in College campus on 02.03.2017
- Conducted awareness programme on differentiation of degradable and non-degradable waste for sanitary workers of our College on 03.03.2017 at 9.30 am to 10.30 am in our College premises
Dr. N.K. Asha Devi, Co-ordinator
The Rotaract Club of our college was started under the initiative of Dr. V. Eswaran, the former Principal of our college in the year 2000, with the support and help of Rotary Club of Thirunagar. The club organizes meetings for the benefit of students to be socially responsible. The club also imparts leadership training and extension activities throughout the year.
- Installation of new team was held on 9th December, 2016 in the presence of Dr.M.Eyini, Principal, Thiagarajar College and the sponsor club President and Secretary and Rotaract Coordinator of Rotary club of Madurai North.
- Rotaract Club is included in the Part V in Curriculum. Activities were finalized and given as syllabus. 50 first year undergraduate students of various departments were selected for Rotaract Club. The list of 50 students was given by the Dean, Students' Welfare.
- Plan of action for 2016-17 was submitted.
- Twenty (20) volunteers participated in the event "Maram Madurai" organized to honour the Para Olymbics gold medalist Mr.Mariappan on December, 2016. District Collector was the Chief Guest.
- An awareness programme on "Fighting drug trafficking and abuse of illegal substances" was organized on 27.12.2016 in collaboration with Narcotics Control Bureau (the nodal drug law enforcement and intelligence agency of India) for Rotaract students.
- Service Project was conducted on 29 th December, 2016 to create awareness on plastic free campus and cleanliness. Rotaract students were divided into 6 groups and they cleaned and collected polythene carry bags. They placed placards against use and throw of plastic in selected places where students dumped polythene bags.
- 6 Rotaract students participated in the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) programme organized by Rotary Club of Madurai West from December 31 st , 2016 to January 1 st , 2017 at Mahatma Residential School, Madurai.
- Rotaract Club of Thiagarajar College organized a special lecture on "Environmental Effects on Public Health" on Friday, 6 th January, 2017 given by Dr.N.Arun Nagendran, Associate Professor of Zoology, Thiagarajar College.
- Rotaract Orientation Programme, sharing the experience about RYLA by 6 Rotaract RYLA participants and honouring the outstanding students in extracurricular activities was during observance the National Youth Day on January 12 th , 2017.
- 24 Rotaract students worked as volunteer for All India essay and painting competition MY CITY MY HERITAGE for school students organized by INTACH Madurai Club held at Thiagarajar College on 27 th January, 2017.
- 16 Rotaract students participated and completed training organized by Rotaract DISTRICT (3000), "Break the Barriers" conducted during the "YUVA MADURA'17" (Rotaract Regional Forum) held on 29 th January, 2017 at Mannar Thirumalai Naicker College, Madurai.
- 22 Rotaract students of our college attended the Rotaract Regional Level Cultural Fest (ARC2K17) organized by Rotaract Club of American College on 16 th February, 2017. Our students got prizes to all competitions and got overall trophy too.
- On 26 th February and 5 th March, 2017 Rotaract students went to Kilakuyilkudi Village (Samanar temple) to clean the temple and to create awareness to the people about the negative impact of using plastics on health and environment.
- All Part V Rotaract Students submitted one assignment in the topic "Health and Hygiene" and submitted one project proposal in the field of traffic/ drug awareness.
- Four Rotaract Students attended the 26 th District Rotaract Conference ('GNES17') held at Kodaikanal on 11 th &12 th March, 2017.
24 Rotaract students worked as volunteer for All India essay and painting competition MY CITY MY HERITAGE for school students organized by
INTACH Madurai Club held at Thiagarajar College on 27th January, 2017
||Blood Donor's Club
The Blood Donor's club of our college is making arrangements for donors during emergency need, besides the regular blood donation camps organized by NSS.
- The coordinator has made his 66th donation on 29.07.16.
- On 16.12.16, an emergency blood donation camp was conducted as requested by Blood Bank, Government Rajaji Hospitals, Madurai.
51 volunteers have donated blood.
- This year we have arranged 83 donors for emergency requirement from Government Rajaji Hospitals, Apollo specialty hospitals, Meenakshi Mission Hospitals
- 26 Volunteer have donated blood during emergency besides blood donation camps conducted by NSS and Rotaract club.
- Dressing & medicine during emergency to students and sub staff are being provided by the First Aid Cell.