The department has been offering B.A. since 1957, M.A. since 1958 and M.Phil. since 1979. It became a research centre in 1979. The department had been headed by the greatest of Tamil scholars like DR.M.A.Duari Arangasamy, Prof. A.K.Paranthamanar, Dr. C.Elakkuvanar, Dr.A.Chidambaranathan Chettiar , Prof. Avvai. S. Duraisamy Pillai and Dr.Sp.Annamalai.It has also produced many literary luminaries like Abdul Rahman, Mu.Metha and Thirumalai.
The Department has been conducting 'Pulavar Vizha' for the past 68 years to honour distinguished Tamil Scholars. It also publishes a bi-annual magazine "Thiagarajar Seidhi Madal" which is a collection of articles and campus news.
Started by President Emeritus Dr. Radha Thiagarajan, in 2004 ,"The Siva Siddantha Training Programme" has been conducted by the Tamil department under the patronage of the College Managment.
MoU: The college and Mr.Paul C.Pandian have jointly agreed to setup a research centre in TC to jointly perform research activities viz., Pan Kalanjiyam, Successor to Tamil Music Dictionary and other allied areas.